Golden Milk is a marvelous creamy hot beverage that applies the attributes of a healing root called Turmeric. Turmeric has been used for thousands of years in India as a cleansing substance for the body. It is known to be beneficial to the inner organs, the spine and the joints, reducing inflammation.
There are several ways of making Golden Milk. My favorite is from herbalist Julie James who teaches how to use coconut oil to make a paste before adding the water or the almond milk. This coconut oil and turmeric paste can be made in bulk and stored in a ball jar for ‘per-cup’ use.
Ingredients for making the paste:
- 2 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil (optional)
- 2 Teaspoon of Ground Turmeric
Double the recipe if you want more paste.
Heat these ingredients in a sauce pan until bright color deepens do dark gold. Pour into a glass jar. It will keep as long as the coconut oil keeps. (A pretty long time) I keep mine on the counter next to the stove for easy daily use.
To make a cup of golden milk from this paste:
- 2 Cups of Almond Milk (homemade recommended)
- 1 Tablespoon of Local Honey (may be added after milk is cooked)
- 1 spoonful of Tumeric and Coconut oil paste
- Grated Nutmeg
- Small Pinch of Black Pepper and Grated Ginger
- spoon out a serving of paste and put into a sauce pan.
- add 1/2 a cup of water to this paste. Let the oil and water heat and blend for a few minutes. The water acts like a bridge between the paste and the almond milk you will add later- enabling the drink to be creamier.
- once the water and turmeric paste have blended, add in a cup of almond milk- or nut milk of your choice. Do not use cow milk- as that is a cause for inflammation!
- simmer this for a few minutes
- Sweeten with honey once the beverage has cooled enough to sip easily
*Never add honey to boiling water. Always ad it to medium warm, easy to hold beverages.
Here is a video on how to make Golden Milk- though make a note that she is not using the Julie James coconut oil paste trick for bulk paste and creamier golden milk. But her demo takes you through most of the steps. Just be sure to try the secret paste technique too!